Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The best way to eat broccoli

I'm normally not such a big fan of broccoli. I don't mean to say that I hate it but in it's original state, simply steamed or stir fried, I think it is a little lacklustre, I certainly couldn't say it was amongst my favourite vegetables. Even so, I usually made it a frequent part of my diet because of it's health giving antioxidants. That was the state of affairs until recently when I first made it into soup. Now I genuinely look forward to eating it and I would be happy to eat it every day of the week. There's no secret ingredient in this recipe I just think it is far more enjoyable in liquid form. See what you think.

Ingredients:

3 small heads of fresh broccoli
1 litre of vegetable stock (1 tb Vegeta stock powder dissolved in 1 litre of hot water)
1 brown onion
Milk, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste

Method:

Chop onion and heat gently until translucent in a large pot. Add vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Cut broccoli into florets and cut the stems into pieces of equal size. Add broccoli to the pot, season with salt and pepper, and simmer for about 5 minutes or until just tender. Ladle soup into a food processor in batches and process until smooth, adding some milk to each batch, and pour into a large serving bowl or soup tureen. Taste and adjust seasoning before serving.

Serves 6

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this soup. It's really delicious and so easy to make. I am not a great cook so if I can make it anyone can. It freezes well so you can always have soup on hand.